Clair Simpson's Reviews > The Screwtape Letters

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis

Jun 03, 08

Recommended for: Anyone
Read in January, 2008

I really liked this book because it gave me an idea of how gulible the human heart can be. We can be turned aside from following Christ sooo easily! C.S.Lewis really captured the sinful nature of man and brought it to light. But, and I like this the most, the man in this story rose above it. We see him being surrounded by the "populars" but he doesn't slip under and become one of them. He is polite but does not conform.That is one of many circumstances that he looks to God and not to man for the help he needs in living his life. If I could put this book into one sentence Romans 12:20 says it better than I ever could, "And be not conformed to this world, But be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Screwtape Letters.

message 1: by Bek's (new)

Bek's Clair, Thanks so much for that review! It's so true!!! We are constantly in a battle with Satan, and if we realized that and remembered the more, I do believe that we would indeed see our own falts before others... thus activating and showing more love, the way God ment us to live.... We would then "...Love one another as Christ first loved us..." and be always thinking of the other person. Instead, I constantly stuggle with feeling as if no one cares, instead of realizing that we (I) desurve nothing!
We need so badly to stop thinking about all the things that we'd like to do with our lives and just live for Christ. If we are Christians like many of us say we are, why do we not care as Christ told us to? Why do we "hold grudges in old jars"?
Luv ya!

Anica Cronje So true what you guys said! What captured me the most by reading C.S Lewis is that most of the techniques "the Father below" uses to lead us is actually so logical but we humans are so blinded by our own thoughts and humanity that we can't spot it on our own. The whole time while I was reading I thought "That is so true how did I not think about that!" it's amazing to see that there is mere mortal people that can recognize these things through the mercy of Christ. Bless you both! ^_^