Ludo's Reviews > The Age Of Absurdity: Why Modern Life Makes It Hard To Be Happy

The Age Of Absurdity by Michael Foley

Mar 07, 11

bookshelves: philosophy
Read in January, 2011

When I surf the net and read the blogs ..I have the impression that a lot of sites are dedicated to the pursuit of happiness. You can achieve happiness with meditation, diet or sports, by becoming a digital nomad, by keeping your possessions under 50 items, by living smaller, by becoming your own boss etc...the list goes on and on. Never have we been more unhappy in a more affluent society. Michael Foley does a good job in going for the roots and causes of this very difficult and possibly very threatening condition for our individual and societal well being.

He inevitably stumbles upon one of the great culprits of this situation. The imperative in modern society that one should enjoy, that we have earned the right to it...that everything around us exists for the sole purpose of giving us what we want. Being a psycho-analyst by training I can only underscore the very detrimental impact this has on the psyche of modern man.

Besides, this rampant individualism and consumerism is going to be the end of us if we do not come up with a great new idea, an idea that can shape our society for the better. We need thinkers!! Not the 50th kind of ice cream flavor!

I recommend this book.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age Of Absurdity.