Amy Jacobs's Reviews > Alice in Zombieland

Alice in Zombieland by Nickolas Cook

Mar 07, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read in March, 2011

When asked to review this book, I was a little hesitant in accepting. I liked Alice in Wonderland as a child, and I wasn't too sure I wanted to see what changes would be made to this classic story. I was curious though after reading some Austen remakes that are being retold the same way. So I fell through the rabbit hole and began the journey with Alice.

After only a few pages of the book, I knew this was going to be hard to get through. The writing wasn't favorable in the fact that it had a ton of run on sentences that began to be annoying. I kept wanting to grab a pencil and start editing. While it followed the story of the classic at times, some of it became horrendous. I actually rolled my eyes in several parts and put it down during some of it to take a break. I had to force myself to finish this book.

Some stories should be left to the original version. In this case, I want to throw this book in the hole and not welcome it back. If you are a fan of fairy tale's being retold, and don't mind the darker side of it, I would recommend borrowing this book from the library first before purchasing it. You might find yourself wishing to save your money for a different fairy tale remake.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alice in Zombieland.