Jennifer's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Jul 12, 11

Read from July 05 to 09, 2011

This book really captured the feelings of "the help" in the deep south during the 60s. More than that, The Help is a book about doing the right thing even when faced with danger.

Skeeter is a young woman home from college. Expected to get married, Skeeter struggles with her looks and her role in her hometown as a single college graduate. Despite the feelings of those around her, Skeeter questions how African Americans are treated. Sacrificing relationships with her family, friends and potential suitors, Skeeter helps give voice to the help while also following her heart in becoming a writer.

Although I loved this story, the "voices" of Aibeleen (and, to a lesser extent, Minny) were difficult to follow because of Stockett's choice of words. Stockett chooses to write Aibeleen's and Minny's voice using words that would translate their tone of voice coming from the deep south. However, her choice of words were sometimes confusing and difficult to read through at a quick pace. I don't fault Stockett for writing these characters in this tone of voice, but only think I would have used different words to show this tone.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.

Nicole Do you own this book? If so can I borrow it?

Jennifer Yeah, I do own it. I can either bring it to the service we're going to at your church in August, or we can arrange a time for you to get it another time!