Katrina Burchett's Reviews > Not a Good Look

Jun 01, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: books-i-own, young-adult
Read from May 19 to 23, 2011

Since fifth grade Sunday Tolliver knew she wanted to attend Spelman College, and the money she'd need took years for her mother to save. But then her mother's boyfriend needs a loan and Sunday's college fund is depleted. Will she be able to earn enough money so she won't miss out on a higher education?

Sunday is a likeable character and I felt bad for her when she found out about her college fund. She mentioned a `hood existence', making it clear that she wasn't happy where she was. Looking at her family situation I was glad that college was on Sunday's agenda. I'm not sure how she knew since fifth grade that she wanted to go, though, because - unless I missed something - I didn't see anyone in her life that would encourage such an important goal. Yes, her mother saved the money, but then she put a so-called man before her daughter and gave it all away. It didn't matter if it was supposed to be a loan and she expected to get it back. It was money to ensure her daughter could study entertainment law and she should have told Carlos to find another way or given him her retirement money instead if she was so concerned about his troubles.

Dreya (aka Drama) is something else! She needs all of the attention and she doesn't seem to care about anybody else. She can be loud and seemingly in control, but insecurity is what I noticed most. I won't say I didn't like her, but her presence was bothersome at times.

I'm not sure what's going on with Bethany - why she makes certain choices. I did notice the envy and jealousy towards Sunday, but I felt like something more was going on with this girl.

Sam was a good guy; talented and respectful of females. I liked him.

Music: I listen to different genres, but I know nothing about the music industry. Not a Good Look gave me a behind the scenes look; some of it was good and some of it was not. As I closed the book all I could think of was that I hope Sunday doesn't allow certain people to keep her from living her dreams. I plan to read All The Wrong Moves and Doing My Own Thing to find out what happens with this gifted young lady, and I'd also like to get to know Bethany better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not a Good Look.