Hilary's Reviews > Pemberley Manor

Pemberley Manor by Kathryn L. Nelson

Mar 11, 11

Read from March 07 to 10, 2011

This book was not bad for a sequel. There were a couple of things in the book that I didn't like. The author really gets off track in some instances in keeping with the original story. She brings in a character that is portrayed as homosexual which I felt was far from where Jane Austen would have gone. Adding a homosexual character felt even more out of place than the in-depth bedroom scenes you find in so many other sequels. Also, while we all enjoy a sensitive man, Mr. Darcy cried way too much for my taste - going from a reserved countenance to a bawl-baby is a bit of a stretch. I did like how the author showed the struggles between Elizabeth and Darcy learning to trust each other as confidantes. She illustrated how a marriage is never perfect but especially in the beginning as you're adapting to one another. There are the sappy, happy parts but hello - that's how it is when you first get married. Darcy fell head over heels for Elizabeth so it stands to reason that he would worship the ground she walks on. I also liked the story behind Darcy's family. It was a good way of explaining, in part, why Darcy turned out the way he did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pemberley Manor.