Anna's Reviews > The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Mar 07, 2011

did not like it
Read in March, 2011

I was looking forward to a light beach read, a chick book, and instead got a rather disturbing fantasy written by someone with barely concealed abuse issues. A naked 40 year old man appears near her house, when she's 6, telling her things about herself and that she should trust him because 'we're going to get married." Uh, that's just creepy no matter how you dress it up. Here's an interesting thought exercise: would the time traveler let his daughter cavort in a meadow with a 40 year old man who is going to marry her? Niffenegger's characters sadly aren't round enough to really merit any kind of motivation, her main character the wife is about as empty a shell of a character as you can get. Her dominating character trait, I kid you not, is her hair. It reminds me of exercises we did in writing classes. He's punk. How? He wears punk clothes and list off the punk bands. That paragraph caused quite the roar of laughter in our book club. Oh this book is just sad. I'm kind of depressed that publishers print, and make money off of this schlock. There are just tons of better books out there.
4 likes · flag

message 1: by Petar X (new)

Petar X I couldn't read this book. I gave up ... but most of the people I know loved it. I'm glad you didn't and reviewed it :-)

Sandy I know you posted this almost a year ago, but what you disliked about the book is just exactly spot on what I also hated about it. The creepy naked guy in the field, her hair, the "punk" element. I disliked Henry and Clare from the beginning and gave up halfway through the book.