Steven's Reviews > Moby-Duck: The True Story of 28,800 Bath Toys Lost at Sea and of the Beachcombers, Oceanographers, Environmentalists, and Fools, Including the Author, Who Went in Search of Them

Moby-Duck by Donovan Hohn

Jun 16, 11

bookshelves: culture, science, travel, maps, cold_places, oceans
Read from June 05 to 16, 2011

This is one of those books that seems like a cute idea, but turns out to be so much more than it appears.

The author, inspired by a story presented by one of his students, decides to go find out what happened to a bunch of plastic bath toys that fell off a container ship in the northern Pacific in 1992. IN the course of his adventures, he meets and hangs out with the people mentioned in the subtitle, plus toy manufacturers, container ship captains, Arctic scientists, and other characters in an exploration of the economy of modern things and how they get to us. If they ever do get to us.

Throughout the book Hohn does that thing good teacher's do, drawing together what we're learning about these seemingly simple toys and making connections with epic literature, mostly notably Moby Dick. It would be easy to do this in a ham-handed way, but Hohn does it well. In addition to making me think about all the little things around me and how they got to me, and it made want to read Moby Dick again.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moby-Duck.