Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids's Reviews > The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

There's something magical about Maggie Stiefvater's writing. She has this ability to capture my attention with her beautiful lyrical writing, relatable characters and creative story telling. Much like her fey and wolf series, Maggie has a talent for taking a well known lore and making it her own. She does this by taking a mythology that's been around for ages and gives it a fresh, unique, engaging re-telling that's all her own.

The Scorpio Races rich mythology is based on water horses, also known as the capall uisce in this story. This deadly water horse is most active in November, which the races are set around each year on the island of Thisby, a prized thing to capture, if it's captured at all. It's during this time that the men gather their best horses, some of which they've captured from the ocean and learned to control, in hopes of being crowned the winner. This race is one that not only requires great strength, but a keen understanding of your surroundings, as the stakes are high and not everyone lives to tell about it. One of the unique things about Maggie's water horses is their ability to attack and often time kill those who enter their waters.

Along with a heart pounding race is two alternating story lines from four time Scorpio Race winner Sean Kendrick and Puck, also called Kate who's the first girl to ever take part in these races. I really liked the way Maggie not only brought these two characters together, but I loved the way their relationship developed. Sean is the quiet, full of wisdom type. He's also extremely intelligent when it comes to horses and the water horses. He's not just a racer, but a horse trainer and the partnership he has with his wildly tamed horse Corr was my favorite relationship from this story. High fives to Kate! I loved this stubborn girl who didn't let others phase her in her decision to take part in what's known as a man's race. This girl can hold her own, despite the crap she takes from some of the guys and her own personal reasons for entering the race. It takes more than two great main characters to tell a story and Maggie's included some fantastic secondary characters as well.

This is s story that's truly unique, I know I keep saying that, but I can't compare it to anything else I've read. Maggie does such a suburb job with her fantasy. She brings a story to life that has this timeless feel to it. I love it when a story feels that way. I also like that she wasn't afraid to tackle the issues of gender, class structure and I loved the theme of loyalty which went for both the human friendships and the relationships they had with their horses. This story has a lot of great elements to it and it's truly a great fantasy read. There's danger, adventure, family relationships, friendships, a subtle romance, mild violence, a breath taking setting and an element of magic to it. This is a story I'd definitely recommend to readers 13 years and older.
11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorpio Races.

Comments (showing 1-13)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Malissa I really want to read this, but after being so disappointed about the end of The Wolves of Mercy Falls I am not sure I should start. I just need more closure, haha!

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids I'd recommend picking this one up. It mind take your mind off the ending of TWofMF. :)

Malissa Ok, you've talked me into it. :-). And let me just say I really did like TW of MF, I just needed more; I'm so greedy. ;-)

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids LOL YAY! I wanted more from the end of the series too. I understand. :)

Malissa So I read this from beginning to end last night (finished at 3 am, ayyy) and I did really enjoy it. There is just SO much story there and the imagery is fantastic, I could almost see myself there. I will say that once again I finished the book with UN-answered questions but since this keeps happening to me I have decided it must just be me and not the Author(s),lol. Anyway, you were right it is a great story and my 7 hour reading marathon proves it to be a book you can't put down which is never a bad thing :-)

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids I am so glad you enjoyed it! I love the world that Maggie created with it and the story is fabulous!! I'm so happy it's a book you enjoyed!

Dana I agree! Something soo magical!

Marye I completely agree. This is Maggie's best work and a must read!

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids Dana- Thank you! Yes, it's definitely magical.

Marye- Maggie's definitely a talented writer. I swear I'd love anything she wrote.

Erin Was there romance in this book?

Erin Thanks!

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids You're welcome! I just realized part of my comment is missing... it's not a romantic book, but there's there some elements of romance in it :)