Vasya's Reviews > Torn

Torn by Amanda Hocking

Mar 07, 11

bookshelves: fantasy-paranormal
Read on March 07, 2011, read count: 1

While this has been an excellent continuation of Switched that I enjoyed very much, I have a few points to make that are not in favor of this book. I think that it is worth reading, but it could have been done so much better that, after being so much enthusiastic about it, I feel a little bit cheated.

The story starts with Matt, Rhys and Wendy being kidnapped by Vittra. We are practically thrown into the thick of things, and everywhere you look there is action, but it is smoothly done, and my hopes are really getting up. Actually, the whole book is like that. But, the fact is that I came till the end and quite frankly don't know what to think - you see, the beginning was so action packed that I am not really sure what the great culminating point in the book should have been. There were a couple of scenes that could be deemed worthy of such a name, but they are a little bit too bleak for my liking. So, I guess that this just felt like a filler between Switched and Ascend.

Wendy really grows in this novel, as a real person. She starts figuring out that sometimes it is not important what she wants, but what is the best and she deals with it pretty well - of course there are a couple of tears and she is depressed from time to time, but she is trying to keep her mind off of those pointless musings by doing something useful with herself and something that benefits the community she so abruptly became responsible for. I really have to applaud her for that. I am also sticking to my belief that Tove is what is best for her, and not even the introduction to Loki could sway me from that belief (frankly, I think that Loki is a bit unstable when it comes to his head, but well, I guess I'll just have to read Ascend to find out what his real purpose in this all is). Finn, on the other hand, is trying to be stoic about everything, but in those few bursts of emotion during the novel, you can see that all of that is just a mask and he is trying really hard not to fall apart (I am being a little bit over dramatic over here).

Wendy's relationship with her mom is really something that pleased me very much, because I though that Elora was just a *coughbitchcough* but I was proven wrong - and I'm glad about it, because she needs someone in the mom department that she feels cares just a little bit for her.

All in all, it was a great novel when you consider the character development, because everything was done very well, not overly dramatic but with enough drama to keep you really interested in the whole aspect of those relationships. As for the plot, it could have been better (and I am only talking about the ending here, because I felt like I was cut out in the middle of something big) but it has not put me off of reading the third book in the trilogy. I hope Wendy and Tove get lucky in the next one.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Torn.