Gus Sanchez's Reviews > Triumph of the City: How Our Greatest Invention Makes Us Richer, Smarter, Greener, Healthier, and Happier

Triumph of the City by Edward L. Glaeser

May 03, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, politics-and-current-events, favorites-you-should-read
Read in May, 2011

In his book, Triumph of the City: How Our Greatest Invention Makes Us Richer, Smarter, Greener, Healthier, and Happier, Edward Glaeser, Professor of Economics at Harvard University, eloquently and emphatically states the case for the singular importance of the city in our evolution. At times provocative and insightful, Glaeser shatters the myths perpetuated by centuries of anti-urban bias; without cities, booms in industry, technology, and finance would never have been made possible; cities are actually more ecologically sound that suburbs or exerbs; higher rates of poverty mean cities are actually working as places where rural poor flock to in search of better lives and opportunities. As an urbanite, I'm already inclined to agree with Professor Glaeser's analysis; his thoughtful, elegantly researched book validates my inclinations.

A fun read, yet also a serious read, one that will shatter all misconceptions about urban living, and will introduce you to fresher perspectives. You may not agree with all of Professor Glaeser's conclusions - personally, I think he sidesteps the issue of urban crime a bit too much for my taste - but you will agree that a fresher approach to embracing urban life, its' people, and its tendencies towards innovation, are the keys to past and future successes.

Recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Triumph of the City.

04/15/2011 page 74