Ross's Reviews > Robot Adept

Robot Adept by Piers Anthony

Mar 07, 11

bookshelves: 2011, ebooks, fantasy, fiction, nostalgia, romance, science-fiction
Recommended for: die-hard Proton/Phaze fans, Anthony completists,
Read from February 26 to March 06, 2011, read count: 4

Books 4/5 are where the series really breaks down. Because there is no physical link between the frames of Phaze and Proton anymore, Anthony resorts to a mental connection between the offspring of the main characters of the previous three books. The characters play switcheroo across the frames in a Freaky-Friday-esque maneuver, encountering and developing love interests in the opposite frame. Pretty standard cookie-cutter plot with only a few small twists and turns to keep things interesting.

The biggest drawback that I could see is that the story is told from the viewpoint of each of the 4 main characters in turn, but has entirely too much repetition and review to keep my interest. And then just for good measure, one of the characters has a Game in the Proton phase where in the competition of storytelling, she rehashes the entire plot of the story YET AGAIN. By this point in the novel I was just breezing through, waiting to finish the story.

I think this is as far as I've ever gotten in this series - I got my hands on copies of the last few books, but if they're as droll as this one, it's going to be my recommendation for new readers to stop after the previous, 3rd book in the series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Robot Adept.