Michael's Reviews > A Reliable Wife

Mar 07, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: books-i-have-reviewed

In a word: horrible.

It's been awhile since I read a book this bad. In fact, I may never have read a book this bad.

Such things happen.

A Reliable Wife starts out slow and never picks up speed. The contrived, implausible, paper-thin plot took about 70 pages to develop. A wealthy, unhappy middle-aged man advertises for a wife. The rest of the story is filled with wordy sentences, rambling narratives, stumbling dialogue, plot inconsistencies and one-dimensional characters so undeveloped and uninteresting as to almost be stale. And sex. Lots of sex. This is a lurid romance trying to pass itself off as literary fiction. There's no mystery here, there's no drama here, no thrills or suspense, no passion or intrigue. Worst of all, there's no story here. I've read bad books before, and A Reliable Wife will takes its well deserved spot on that list, but I've never been as bored reading a book in my life as I was with A Reliable Wife.

Such things happen.

I think A Reliable Wife started out as a short story, maybe a novella, and then someone suggested the author should add only another 100,000, or so, words to his short story and he'd have a complete novel. It's in those extra 100,000 extra words where the story really crashes. I'm not going to cite examples because, even though they're on every page of this overlong book, that would mean I'd have to go back and read those passages again and I have no plans on handling A Reliable Wife again until I try and sell it at the used bookstore. I hope they have a new employee working that day.

The best thing about A Reliable Wife from my perspective is that if this book can get published then there's hope for anyone who enjoys writing to eventually see their work in print so keep writing!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Reliable Wife.

05/25/2016 marked as: read

Cynthia Michael: My book group discussed this one last night. Out of 10 of us, only 2 liked this book. One of the two was the one who recommended it to the group.

One of our big problems was with the sex. Yes, there is a lot of sex, but clearly it is all from the man's perspective. In a cold Iowa winter, we all like a sexy read, but not from such a narrow viewpoint. I have read plenty of good stories/romances by men, but this is not one of them!!

I was rather shocked to find Goodreads reviewers who compared this to "Rebecca." WHAT??

Barbara Probably the worst book I ever finished... The reason why I didn't drop it is because I was fascinated by how bad it is.