Celia Powell's Reviews > The Shattered City

The Shattered City by Tansy Rayner Roberts

May 01, 11

bookshelves: 2011-books, australian-author, fantasy
Read in April, 2011

This was a fantastic follow up to Power and Majesty - as per the blurb, Velody is the Power and Majesty of the Creature Court (the fantastical band of shape shifters who protect the city of Aufleur each night from the terrible threat in the sky). She's trying to be a better leader to the Creature Court than they have had before, and to inspire their loyalty and trust, but the threats they are facing seem ever increasing. Velody feels the incredible pressure of her position, her friends are also drawn further into the dark world she inhabits, and the sky promises worse times ahead.

As with Power and Majesty, I think this book is a little misserved by its cover - the dark undercurrent of this story is not apparent from its packaging. If I was trying to classify it - and it's hard to classify - I'd probably go with dark fantasy/urban fantasy? It's a tricky one. But it's certainly not light and fluffy. However, the covers don't affect the book - and this is an excellent, dark and very tense follow up to Power and Majesty. I really liked where the story took the characters, and particularly the ending, even though I was mentally shouting, "Oh Velody, what are you doing?". Very much looking forward to the final book in the trilogy, which I think will be released later this year.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shattered City.