Neil Powell's Reviews > The World That Never Was: A True Story of Dreamers, Schemers, Anarchists and Secret Agents

The World That Never Was by Alex Butterworth

Apr 17, 2012

Read from February 08 to April 12, 2012

An enthralling, complicated, intriguing, confusing and ultimately rewarding read. The shear volume of information, characters, espionage and idealistic rhetoric were at times mind blowing, and I'll admit that 150 pages in I was struggling to cope. But I'm very glad I persevered, as it was well worth finishing. At times, the plot twists and turns like a fictional spy thriller: you'd think it hard to believe that characters Peter Rachkovsky, Errico Malatesta, Louise Michel and Peter Kropotkin were real people, so incredible is the myriad of interwoven stories they inhabit.

There are very obvious parallels of the anarchist movement from the late 19th century with the modern day terrorism, so many in fact that it was almost as if history was repeating itself. Today's western governments would do well to heed the lessons from the Anarchists revolution
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The World That Never Was.

02/08/2012 page 3
03/13/2012 page 103
21.0% "This is a tough read so far, so many characters, complex plots and a period of history I'm not completely familiar with. Sticking with it though"
show 24 hidden updates…