Jessica's Reviews > The Goose Girl

The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale

Aug 01, 2011

bookshelves: series, favorites, books-i-own
Read from June 14 to August 01, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goose Girl.

Quotes Jessica Liked

Shannon Hale
“Right now I'd like all my troubles to stand in front of me in a straight line, and one by one I'd give each a black eye. ”

Shannon Hale
“But in a country where you hang your dead up on walls and pride whether or not a man bears a javelin more than his character, how am I to persuade you out of a war? It would be suicide for Kildenree to war on Bayern and butchery for Bayern to attack Kildenree. If you don't believe me, then send me back. Or if you don't trust me to leave, I'll return to my little room on the west wall and tend your geese, and you can be sure that on my watch no thieves will touch my flock.”

Shannon Hale
“My friends call me by my name."
"You don't have any friends."
"I don't want you to be my friend, Selia, or my servant, not now. I thought you were both. You have let me know I was wrong. So are you to treat me so. You are wrong.”

Shannon Hale
“When you get tired of worrying and mourning your horse and trying not to be afraid, tell me and I'll do it for you a while so you can shut your eyes and sleep peaceful.”

Shannon Hale
“... If we don't tell strange stories, when something strange happens we won't believe it.”

Shannon Hale
“Yes, we'll yell, 'Help, help us, goose girl, and bring the terrifying legion of warrior geese'.”

Shannon Hale
“If we're mad, we're mad in large numbers, at least larger than yours.”

Shannon Hale
“I can see that one can never pay back Gilsa for the fear that she will give again.”

“You saw my leg?"
"How can a man help what he sees?" he said. "And, if I could add, you possess a very fine leg.”

Shannon Hale
“Years ago, before this estate was generously and unwillingly turned over to the crown, the lord here was a genuine dimwit. He had a minister stashed behind his throne to whisper clever things to say.”

Shannon Hale
“I, Geric-Sinath of Gerhard, declare that you're beautiful and you're perfect and I'll slay any man who tries to take you from my side. Goose girl, may I kiss you?”

Shannon Hale
“Go on, son, you're not doing me any good by bleeding.”

Shannon Hale
“...all things speak, in their way, don't they?”

Shannon Hale
“Poor gosling. It hurts to be lost. And worse to be home with no kind of homecoming...I'll be lucky if I can do as well as you when all this's done, just a bit out of breath, a bit bruised and scratched, a bit wiser and sadder for it all.”

Shannon Hale
“Ah, now, don't cry over lost years and forgetfulness. The tales tell what they can. The rest is for us to learn..”

Shannon Hale
“Clearly she was expected to say something, but panic at having to speak stole the thoughts from her head.”

“Geric," she called.
He turned back around.
"What kind of flowers were they?"
"I don't rightly know," he said. He made faltering gestures with his hands, forming their size and shape from the air. "They were yellow, and smallish, and had lots of petals."
"Thank you," she said. "They were beautiful.”

Shannon Hale
“...'Goose girl, may I kiss you?' She answered by... kissing him first.”

Shannon Hale
“Oh, but I like my geese. Like cats, they can't be told what to do, and like dogs, they're loyal, and like people, they talk every chance they get.”

06/18/2011 page 60
07/29/2011 page 250
63.0% "It's getting so so so good!!!"
08/01/2011 page 400
100.0% "Oh my gosh what a FANTASTIC book!!!! I loved, Loved, LOVED it!!!!"
show 3 hidden updates…