Karen's Reviews > Winter Garden

Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah

Jan 04, 12

bookshelves: chick-lit, family, loss-and-grief, women-s-fiction, russia, war
Read from December 28, 2011 to January 04, 2012

Kristin Hannah's books have been recommended to me by a lot of friends, and I love the cover arts! (Who said we can't judge a book by a cover?) Unfortunately, I read The Night Road as my first book, and did not enjoy it as much as I enjoyed works by other similar authors, namely, Picoult and Chamberlain.

However, at the persuasion of more friends, I decided to give her another chance, so I chose Winter Garden as my fluff read at the end of last year to balance the stress. I was so wrong.

The story was about two sisters, who were never loved by their Mom growing up, so each was sad and broken in her own way, yet managed to lead a quite normal and successful life as an adult. When their Dad died, they returned home, and insisted to find the answer for their Mom's sadness and alienation.

I had tears streaming down my face when I tapped the last page on my Kindle, sitting at a Barnes and Noble cafe table, with people staring at me and murmuring to each other. I was wrong. This was definitely not a fluff read and indeed something with substance. It shows us the extreme of loss and grief; the pain that comes with loss when we love too much. We protect ourselves from the same pain happening to us again...by not loving.

The story also taught me a bit of history of Leningrad during WWII, although, as a Chinese with extent knowledge of communism and the Cultural Revolution, nothing surprised me under the sun. However, the story still filled me with extreme sadness, regardless of the perfect ending. So, I was wrong again by judging an author with one book. My next read will be Firefly Lane...which most of my friends loved. There's nothing I love more than stories of women friendship!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter Garden.

12/29/2011

Comments (showing 1-9)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

KDNH Love your review! I just finished this one myself-- I gave it 4 stars too and it's my first Kristin Hannah-- fabulous, powerful novel!

Karen Thank you, KDNH! I plan to read more of her books! Which one are you going to read next?

KDNH I want to read her newest one Home Front. I was definitely impressed with her writing!

Karen I heard that one is good!

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather Pola Love reading your review! Thanks so much for taking the fantastic time!

Karen Heather wrote: "Love reading your review! Thanks so much for taking the fantastic time!"

Thank you for the kind words, Heather!

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather Pola Pleasure is mine! I love this site! I've actually started getting my friends to join! Really, thanks for taking the time to review! cheers!

Taylor Schwering I have read many of her books and have loved them. Firefly Lane is a must read! It has a sequel but I can't think of the name right now.

Karen I read Firefly Lane right after this one. I loved it! I haven't read the sequel, yet.