Lilly Anne's Reviews > Touching Spirit Bear

Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen

3195041
Mar 06, 11

Recommended for: People who read Gary Paulsen books.
Read on March 06, 2011

I have to say, this book was okay. It was well written and everything but...I'm just not into these kind of stories. It just seemed too cheesy for me, and bad people going good and rebuilding their life and soul is just kinda boring - Not that that's a bad thing, of course, good for him! - but I just couldn't click with the character.

Have you ever been reading something and just kinda want your character to die? Because I was actually looking forward to Cole dying or commiting suicide at some points; then the story would have at least had an interesting ending. (This is what happens when authors don't make interesting enough characters.) I'm being kind of mean, I know, I just don't like these types of stories. "Oh, my life was really screwed up before, but now that I've gone through this long, hard jounrey of discovering myself and letting go of my anger by living alone on an island for over a year, everything is going to be OK now and I'm going to live the rest of my days appreciating life!" That basically sums up the book right there, and it kind of makes me sick. Too corny for me.

Self discovering is great and everything, it's just that reading about it - in a STORY, nonetheless - is boring. I do admit, Mikaelsen's writing was really good and detailed, so I tip my hat to him, albeit a little grudgingly. I suggest that people who want to read this book should read it, it's a good book but I'm a critic and this story was just not my type of thing.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touching Spirit Bear.