Beth's Reviews > The Unconsoled

The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro

Feb 21, 2012

Read in March, 2011

I felt a tremendous sense of relief that I had finally completed Ishiguros’s The Unconsoled. I allowed myself to remember the experience of reading it, with its unusual memory-impaired narrator and the endless stream of absurdity and satire, and its improbable, dream-like narration. The more I thought about it, the more it seemed like it would make the perfect subject for a Goodreads review. I worried a bit about the time it would take to make my feelings clear about the book, but after looking around my office, seeing the sun was streaming through the windows and all of my other duties of the day were happening on schedule, it seemed to be the perfect time to start my review. There would be plenty of time in the day for my other duties. In fact, the more I considered it, the more I relished the idea of really striking a nerve with my fellow Goodreads readers. This could, in fact, be the very review that could pull the Goodreads community together once and for all. Yes, a concise, well-written review is just what was needed, indeed I felt quite keenly that I had a responsibility to be the one to write it.

And it is true, many people may well read this review. Dare I say, among the readers of this review might well be many discerning readers and perhaps a writer or two. Perhaps Mr. Ishiguro himself visits Goodreads! I imagine him in his fashionable London flat, asking his assistant to explain to his publishers and his agent and all of his various arrangers hoping that he will offer a reading or a lecture about his work that he himself was entirely transformed personally by my very words! Perhaps my review will help him to understand his own book, with its metaphors, mystery, and magnificent surrealism even more completely than when he was writing it!

Imagining this energized me greatly, and as the light was waning I sat down to begin my review. I was just reaching for my opening words when I noted my morning’s work, still incomplete, on the screen. In the excitement of contemplating a brilliant review of The Unconsoled, I had completely forgotten to complete my responsibilities. I glanced at the time on my computer and saw I had a few minutes remaining before my deadline. In a matter of moments my clients would be calling me, asking for their reports. I figured that I could get a good bit done with the time I had remaining. I placed my hands on the keyboard.
49 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unconsoled.

01/29 marked as: read

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike Askin Well done!

JerryB Love it, Beth. You have clearly (and wittily) "channeled" the identity and style of the narrator. Reading your review definitely "energized me greatly". ;)

message 3: by Ad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ad Samad i read the book in early 2006 and reading your review gives precisely the emotion i had back then, both unsettling and fulfilling. like ishiguro, you're a genius.

message 4: by Kirk (new)

Kirk That was amazing. I just finished the book and was looking for readers' opinions and feedback. After I read your review I know that I need look no further for catharsis. Thank you.

Andrew Liam This is awesome

Dusan Haha, good one!

Chandler Smith This is spot-on (and hilarious).

Adam Excellent. In particular, reading your last few sentences brought the whole feeling of the novel (read many years ago) flooding back to me. The way that time was bent, manipulated and ignored was excruciating sometimes.

message 9: by Ana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ana Brava, brava!

message 10: by Pat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pat Herndon LOL! Great style for the review of this particular book.

message 11: by Will (new) - rated it 5 stars

Will Very much in the flow of the book!