Esther's Reviews > And Tango Makes Three

And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson

Published in 2005 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Interest Level: 3rd-6th Grade

This is based on a true story about a same-sex penguin couple that are given an egg to hatch. At first it seems as if the couple are just a cute duo of male penguin friends. Then they are given an egg to hatch together and it is clear they are a same-sex couple. This depiction of homosexuality is a less overt way to explain and show its implications and concerns. The book has drawings that allow for a picture book feel, even though the story is based on a real same-sex penguin couple.

This book could start a great discussion of what makes a family, how families come together, and how to accept different types of families. Although this may be a touchy subject for many students, parents, and schools it is necessary to have a diversity of examples of families so that students can come to accept differences that they will find in the community. The picture book format is a great way to introduce a serious subject in a sensitive and thoughtful way.

The only problem I have with this book is where it was shelved in my public library, which was the non-fiction animal area. Books like this that are about different diversities need to be accessible to students and parents, but it is debatable where they should be shelved. Personally, I think in my public library this book has been cataloged incorrectly and hopefully books like this can be better cataloged and understood by the community in a more open way in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And Tango Makes Three.

Nancy Maybe the librarian only saw the book as two penguins who love their baby. I think if the authors had not put in the line, “they must be in love,” young children may just see the book in this way. At the library I went to it was placed in the parent/teacher section, which didn’t seem to get much attention from library patrons. I really loved the cute and funny penguin illustrations, which personally, I think is what very little ones would focus in on more than the homosexuality part. I thought the authors did a great job telling a story of acceptance and what makes a family. These issues of gender and adoption will inevitably come up sooner or later as children grow up and this book is a gentle way to introduce the subjects. Although I don’t believe penguins can really be “gay”(research into animal behaviors could explain it--survival of the species?), parents certainly have the right to monitor what their children read.

Julia I'm not sure where I would place this book. I loved the story and I think that it should be accessible by all. I wonder if the parents at my school would have a hard time with their children bringing this book home. Because I work in a K-2 school, I think that the students would just see this as a really cool story about penguins. As a parent, I would use the book as a teaching opportunity about love, family and acceptance.