Sunflower's Reviews > A Trail of Ink

A Trail of Ink by Mel Starr

Mar 06, 11

bookshelves: 2011-book-reviews, litfuse

Mystery. 14th century. Missing books.

Written in a first person mode with a glossery on the front to help with understanding some of the terminoloyg, "Trail of Ink" is a very unique mystery to read.

Set in medieval England and if you are blessed to visit the actual locations shared in the book, follow Hugh de Singleton, surgeon, as he helps his "friend", Master John Wyclif, the well known scholar and Bible translator, recover valuable books that have been stolen and court his love, Kate who has a suitor too.

The first person narrative, takes some time getting used to, but what I like about this book, is that Mel Starr, eloquently captures the times and customs and lanugage of medieval England and helps the reader get caught up as Hugh de Singleton, finds himself, being pursue by events that get odder at every turn.

This is a book that I found not only myself caught up in, but my husband and even my mother in law expressing interest to read (looks like I have to lend the book to them as well), and for me personally, I love historical fictions, and I love historical fictions that are about character development and helps bring you into the time and age of that time period.

As for readers discretions:

I didn't find anything that I felt would be uncomfortable to assign as fun reading for a high school young adult to read while studying that time period (as a homeschool teacher, it's hard not to also think, how can this be used in homeschooling).

Definetely check out ,"Trail of Ink", when you have the time and don't forget to participate in the giveaway that Kregel Publishers has, going with this book:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Trail of Ink.