Amber Skye's Reviews > The Last Echo

The Last Echo by Kimberly Derting

Jan 30, 12

Read from January 23 to 29, 2012

Gah, I love this fabulously creepy, spine-chilling series. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a complete wimp when it comes to horror stories, and this book had me a wee bit freaked out in bed at night. This "bad guy" is even more twisted than his predecessors. Even his name, "the collector," gives me goosebumps. It is for that very reason, among others, that I adore Derting's novels. She knows just how to balance humor, mystery, romance, and horror in her fantastic YA novels.

Unlike in the previous novels, Violet doesn't have to bear the burden of her "gift" alone. This time, she is a part of a supernatural team that hunts down killers before they can claim their next victims. The team is really what sets The Last Echo apart from the other books. I really enjoyed the bonds Violet forged with her new partners, and it was fascinating to see their unique powers in action.

*spoiler* When Derting first introduced Rafe into the equation, I groaned internally. I don't think I could handle it if yet another one of my favorite protagonists fell into a ridiculous love triangle. Not to mention that I adore Jay, one of the sweetest fictional boyfriends I've ever read about. Rafe could never replace this boy in my eyes. Luckily, Violet steers clear of any messy romances and stays true to her devoted best-friend-turned-boyfriend. Thank goodness, or I might have chucked this book out of my window.

My favorite aspect of this series is Violet's gift. Now, as morbid as that sounds, I do have my reasons. First of all, it is entirely unique. I read a ton of young adult literature, and I've yet to see anything quite like it. Secondly, it adds so much to Vi. With the weight of the dead's secrets on her shoulders, she's grown and developed throughout the series. I can't even imagine how I would handle such a devastating curse.

Overall, I was immensely pleased with this installment in The Body Finder series. Fans of Lisa McMann and Laurie Stolarz will eat this series up. I cannot wait to see what creepy tale Derting publishes next!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Echo.

01/28/2012 page 100
28.0% "I had to walk to my car in a dark parking lot, and I was totally prepared to stab someone with my key. This book is pretty creepy O.o"