AGastolek's Reviews > Isaac Newton

M_50x66
Mar 08, 11

bookshelves: info-bios
Read from March 06 to 08, 2011

This is a biography of Sir Isaac Newton. He is viewed as one of the most influential scientists of all times, but many of the readers do not know that he was “secretive, withdrawn, obsessive, ruthless, bitter, perhaps in need of therapy”. The book concentrates on his achievements and also exposes his vindictive side.

The author, Kathleen Krull, uses short chapters to present the life of the scientist. Each chapter focuses on significant events in Newton’s life that shaped him as a person and cultivated his brilliant mind. The language that the author choses and the included anecdotes make this biography a fast and an interesting read. The book is illustrated by Boris Kulikov whose black-and-white drawings present a satirical view of seventeenth-century life in England.

The book is well researched. At the end of the book, the author lists the bibliography including books and articles especially for young readers. Additionally, there is a list of web sites verified in 2005 and related to Newton’s life and achievements. I found this book well written and informative and believe that any middle school student can learn a great deal about Sir Isaac Newton from this publication.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Isaac Newton.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Q_Ayana (new)

Q_Ayana It sounds like a very interesting book. I don’t remember ever learning about who Sir Isaac Newton was as a person. I would have probably been more interested in physics, had I known some biological information about him. Middle school students, especially boys, enjoy hearing about people who have kind of “twisted” personalities. Sharing this book might be a catalyst to lure them into the sciences.