Paris's Reviews > Unearthly

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Mar 06, 11

bookshelves: wishlist, ya, must-read-series
Read in February, 2011

I read a lot of YA books and I can’t emphasize enough how much I love it when you can barely tell that the characters in the book are teenagers. Aside from the high school setting and the occasional high school drama (bullies and prom choices), Unearthly is one of those YA books that is light on the teen angst. Clara is troubled by her purpose in life, not by being a teenager. She does find herself conflicted by the affection of two boys, but that is an age old story that is found in just about every book no matter the genre and is handled in a mature way in Unearthly.

The plot of the book is a slightly different take on something that is becoming very popular these days and it does tend to slightly follow the same pattern as other YA’s. I’m really not sure what it is about this book that made me stay up late to read it, since it does feel kind of familiar, but I found the book so enthralling that I couldn’t put it down and then immediately rushed to work and told my friend she had to read it.

I definitely plan on reading the rest of the books in the series as long as they don’t completely fall off from how good the first book was and I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes YA and angels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unearthly.