Andrea's Reviews > Hans Andersen's Fairy Tales: Retold by Naomi Lewis

Mar 16, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, 2011
Read from March 06 to 12, 2011

I read this mostly as a must read. Was amazed at how much of literature is based in these and other tales. Also, how through the years the stories have changed. The "Little Mermaid" for example ends quite differently from the Disney version. This version brings to mind messages paying the ultimate price for disobeying a father, for wanting to explare and go outdside of known community-- Not in the beauty and empowerment of following ones own path or the strength of true love.

Also many many fairy tales - I had never heard of that were interesting. It was noted in the intro and I concur that HCA had a consistent struggle with being an outsider not accepted within the upper elites and yet having a profound respect for the same upper elites. It shows in much of his work.

All in all, one of those books any reader, writer, or just member of society should read for a better understanding of the basis for much of Western literature.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hans Andersen's Fairy Tales.