Hannah (The Irish Banana Review)'s Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

May 15, 11

bookshelves: ya-dystopian, favorite-ya, best-ya-romances
Read in May, 2011

If you have visited a YA book blog in the last six months, chances are you’ve come across a glowing review (or ten) for Veronica Roth’s debut novel, Divergent. I won’t waste your time: all those rave reviews? Totally spot on.

The dystopian genre is quite hit or miss for me. I have found myself totally put off by worlds I can never assimilate myself into (either with crazy jargon or unrealistic plots, even by dystopian standards), and I have alternately found myself completely immersed in a foreign world that leaves me breathless. Thankfully this book falls in the latter category.

The world Roth creates is an intoxicating. The best way I can describe this book is a blend of The Host by Stephenie Meyers, Matched by Ally Condie, and Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Roll all the best points of those novels into one and you start to tap into the awesomeness that is Divergent.

I could go on and on about the masterful way she creates the perfect setting in Chicago, blending historical locations with her own imagination. Or I could write an essay on the brilliant characters that fill the pages from start to finish. I could also rave about the ingenious, mind-blowing plot for a few hours. But the bottom line is you would be spending time reading this review when you could be buying and reading the book yourself.

This is one of those rare books I cannot urge people to buy for themselves enough. This isn’t a book you want to check out of the library and then give back in 3 weeks. This is one to let take up space on your bookshelf. I also recommend leaving a nice, big spot open next to Divergent for its sequels. Yeah, it’s that good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.