Rachel C.'s Reviews > Noises Off

Noises Off by Michael Frayn

Feb 12, 08

bookshelves: form-play-script, narrative-devices
Read in January, 2001

A farcical play-within-a-play involving the cast of a fictional sex comedy called "Nothing On." The whole thing is seen from backstage, as the personal lives of the "actors" start interfering with the mechanics of the play - cues are missed, lines are misspoken and plates of sardines are misplaced.

Frayne shows he has the skills of a master conductor to create and shape seeming chaos - girls running about in their underwear, doors being open and shut, characters climbing up and down stairs, in and out of windows, etc.

Not as revolutionary as his "Copenhagen", but "Noises Off" is great fun and made me laugh uproariously. It might be difficult to appreciate this one just from reading it but it will give you a taste of Frayn's incredible range as a playwright.

"Why did *I* lock the door? Why did YOU lock the door? Someone locked the door...."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Noises Off.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by AbbyB (new)

AbbyB Rachel -

Looks like you are on a play kick. Have you seen this play? So funny! I was in it in high school - and the quoted line at the bottom of your review completely took me back . . .

Abby

Rachel C. Who did you play?

I saw it in London with my sister. I seriously hurt myself laughing. It's a great play!

PA and were discussing the nerdiness factor of adding things other than books to our goodreads list. I promised to put some plays up and am encouraging PA to post some poetry reviews.