Sarah (saz101)'s Reviews > Evernight

Evernight by Claudia Gray

Mar 29, 11

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, vampires, young-adult, root-canal
Recommended for: Twilight fans.
Read from March 06 to 29, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

After Bianca Olivier's parents accept teaching positions, she is forced to attend the creepy and snobbish Evernight Academy--and she wants out. Bianca's a loner. She's debilitatingly shy, and the move to a new town, and a new school where she knows no-one but her parents, is hard for her (and every other 14 year old on the planet). At Evernight she discovers dark secrets, reveals a few of her own, and falls head over heels for fellow student and Evernight outsider, Lucas. This despite the fact that he's a bit of an ass, a text-book wife-beater (as Bianca's new BFF, Raquel, rather astutely points out), and that the charming and 'broad shouldered' Balthazar (a classmate) seems a much more suitable match. But we don't choose who we love, so let's move along... or so you'll have to, to get through this book.

Firstly, I should say, Evernight is probably a little better than I'm giving it credit for. I have genre fatigue. It's not a bad book, it's simply that, for me, Evernight failed to stand out amongst a slew of similar books currently available in the ever-popular YA teenage vampire/supe genre.

About half way through--right as I was getting ready to give up on Bianca's insipid, droning, seemingly endless monologue--Evernight actually has a very sudden, very big, and what I personally thought was a pretty cool (though much maligned, it would seem) plot twist. It's a bit of a point of difference from the many other predictable books out there in a very similar vein (think Hush, Hush, Twilight, Fallen, etc... can I call Twilight a genre of its own?). I wanted to like Bianca, and I wanted to like Lucas, however, I found myself rooting for Lucas' opposing love interest; a problem I've never had before in what is often a very formulaic genre, and, in Evernight, what is meant to be very clearly a pretty straight forward path between our two lovers.

I do have to praise the writing of Lucas, here, though. He's not perfect, and he's not made out to be. He's a liar, at times violent, and while our brainless heroine is head-over-heels, regardless of his flaws, I like that we're seeing a genuinely imperfect hero, who's conflicted, who has, while not selfish, perhaps ill-intentioned and misguided, motivations for his actions, and a bit of interest. I don't *like* him, but, hey, at least when he's on the page, Bianca stops talking about how pretty his shiny bronze hair and brilliant green eyes.

Evernight ends up playing out as a bit of a modern-day Romeo and Juliet... but I didn't feel as connected as I'd like to be. I couldn't make myself care enough to truly be invested. I'm torn--I really want to know how the series pans out, and the secret the sinister headmistress, Mrs Bethany, is hiding, but I don't think I could make myself read through another 3 books of Bianca's narration.

While there are better books out there than Evernight, it's truly not a bad outing in the predictable YA/PNR genre, and should provide a satisfying diversion to fans hungering for another tale of the ubiquitous teenage vampire.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evernight.

03/17/2011 page 50
03/27/2011 page 279
85.0% "The book got a LOT better about half way through--there's a rather huge plot twist sitting there. I'm still not sure I'm loving it, and it's driving me nuts. I want to slap Bianca, and I think Lucas is a tool--she should be with Balthazar, despite the creepy, icky, age difference. I want to know what happens in the series, but I'm not sure I could cope with reading another 3 of these books! Torn." 2 comments
show 2 hidden updates…