Kristen's Reviews > Deadline

Deadline by Chris Crutcher

Mar 06, 11

bookshelves: ya-lit
Read in March, 2011

I thought that the book Deadline by Chris Crutcher was a good read. A kid who takes his life in his own hands and refuses treatment for a terminal disease was a great plot to red. I feel like the character Ben is what made me like the story. He was smart, challenged authority, and wanted to get the most out of his last few days on this Earth. I liked the continual references to the book “The lies my teacher told me” and how he continually challenged historical content in Mr. Lambeer’s class. He was a normal kid but was transformed into a force to be reckoned with once he found out how little time he had left to enjoy.
The language is intense in this book. I don’t cuss and having that many cuss words floating around in my head because of this book sort of bugged me; but I see some striking discussions that could come out of teaching this book. Obviously, there are novels with bad language that are taught already, but I recognize how some language is in a historical context and I don’t think you can say the same for this in context. I don’t know which schools would approve this book and which ones wouldn’t but I would teach it if I had the option. I believe that this book has multiple themes that can be turned into lively classroom discussion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadline.