Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)'s Reviews > The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender

Oct 26, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2011, comfort-novels, adult-fiction, title-appeal, let-down, magical-realism, not-for-me, books-i-own
Read from June 06 to 08, 2011

After finishing this book, I'm still not quite sure how I feel about it. I did enjoy it, but I expected it to be more special, to be able to intrigue me a lot more than it actually did. The writing was peculiar and I found it difficult to get used to, but I did adjust to it - I still didn't like the fact that no speechmarks were used though! I thought that all of the characters were interesting, particularly Joseph, but I also think that the whole issue with Joseph and his disappearances just over-did the magical realism a little too much. The story sounds amazing and the ideas are certainly there, it has so much potential - however, I do think it could've been better. Maybe magical realism isn't for me, but this was a bit of a let down.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake.

message 1: by Nicola (new) - added it

Nicola I must read!

Lindsey I totally agree Stephanie!