Sophie's Reviews > Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft

Locke & Key, Vol. 1 by Joe Hill

Mar 06, 11

bookshelves: comics
Read in March, 2011 — I own a copy

I read this for our comic book club, and while it isn't exactly the kind of book I would have picked up on my own, it was definitely entertaining.

After their father is murdered by a student, the Locke family moves to the Keyhouse in Lovecraft, Massachusets. The three children try to cope with their loss as best as they can, and then the killer escapes from custody - with the help of a strange kind of creature/ghost confined to the well of the Keyhouse.

The teenage serial killer plot was nothing special, and truth be told it's been done a little too often to be particularly scary or effective. But I did like the Locke children - I came to care for them almost right away, and while their stories aren't exactly unusual or never-heard-of-before, either, they still worked for me. (I mean, of course the little brother escapes into so-called fantasy worlds which actually aren't fantasy, and the middle girl has trouble fitting in at school, and the oldest brother pretty much just blames himself. But even though it was nothing special, it was still well done enough that I liked it.)

The most interesting aspect of the book is, of course, the Keyhouse itself. With it's secret doors and locks and keys, it's really quite intriguing, and I think I want to read more about it in the future.

The art and especially the coloring work well with the different moods and settings of the story.

So while this wasn't exactly world-changing and nothing I would call a must-read, it was a good book. Probably more of a 3.5 than a 4, but since we still haven't half points here at Goodreads, four stars it is.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Locke & Key, Vol. 1.