Tyraa's Reviews > New York to Dallas

New York to Dallas by J.D. Robb

Sep 22, 2011

bookshelves: favorites
Read from September 15 to 19, 2011

(Review Posted on Tyras Book Addiction)

* I'll try to keep this as spoiler free as possible*

Hype surrounding this book was massive especially because of the one time name change. To be honest I was a little hesitant going in becuase of this, but WHY do I doubt Robb when time and time again she delivers brilliance?

NYTD is another amazing installment to this series. Emotional and gutt retching at times, loose ends to Eve's past are tied if not a little to neatly, and we see the depth of Eve and Roarke's relationship and how far they've come since the beginning. There's a big twist in this book that may come as a huge surprise to some, although I totally guessed it a few scenes a head.

The majority of the book is set outside of New York and in Dallas - hence the title New York to Dallas. It was interesting to see Eve work in another cop shop and not run the show. The basic premise is that Eve's first rookie arrest McQueen has escaped prison for revenge, so she has to stop him before it's too late.

McQueen is the most vile, disgusting sack of bones. There were multiple instances I wanted to rip his face off, like seriously. He sickened me to the point where I had to put the book down a few times. He was so DARN CREEPY. But that just keeps you reading because you want to take him down.

The pace was fast and keeps you reading but it wasn't as cut throat as previous books. A lot of the story was dealing with feelings and and speculating as apposed to actively pursuing, but regardless it was good. The Eve and Roarke moments were sweet and their interaction will never grow stale or repetitive for me.

If I had one criticism it would be the lack of appearances from our favourite characters. Where the heck was Mcnabb, Mavis, Leonardo, Charles, Baxter etc. I kept holding out that we would see them but to my disappointment it just never came. I didn't realize how intergal the supporting characters were for the overall plot until they weren't there. I missed the charm and going ons of each character - especially Peabody! I hope we get more from the characters in the next book or even novella.

A lot of people were afraid that this book would signal the rounding up of the series BUT J.D. ROBB has on a number of occasions claimed the ending was not in sight. Eve and Roarke won't leave us for a long long time. That's good because I'm not ready to leave Eve & Roarke behind.

Favourite quotes:

“I guess you’re working with somebody else.” Peabody went back to sulking. “Is she pretty?” - Peabody

“You could never be nothing.” Roarke spoke in a voice of barely controlled rage. “You’re what you made yourself against the impossible. Even when you were helpless they couldn’t destroy what you are. You’re a miracle. You’re my miracle, and you’ll never be anything else.” - Roarke

Rating: 4/5

This series will never get old. NEVER I SAY. It would have been a 5 if only there were more appearances from Peabody and little more action. But a solid 4 from me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read New York to Dallas.

09/15/2011 page 92
100% "OMG I want to rip McQueen's face off then kick his life-less corpse. The sickest villian in this series by far"
show 1 hidden update…

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-3 of 3) </span> <span class="smallText">(3 new)</span>

Jonetta I felt the same way. He is pure evil.

Tyraa Agreed, I haven't finished it yet but I hope he dies in the end

Jonetta Tyraa, you and I seem to be of the same opinion about the book with respect to the recurring characters. I missed them a lot in this book.