Martha's Reviews > Breakfast with Buddha

Breakfast with Buddha by Roland Merullo

Mar 11, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read from March 06 to 10, 2011

I read "Breakfast with Buddha" for our church book group, and I'm sorry to say I didn't finish it before the discussion. Others felt it was light-weight or fluffy. I wouldn't call it that. Merullo uses humor to make an exploration of deep matters accessible. The characters were effectively drawn. I enjoyed the road trip details, especially the narrator's enjoyment of different cuisines and his effort to show Volya Rinpoche some "American fun." Their adventures with "bohling" and "furniture golf" felt totally plausible.
Our book group discussion centered on the question of what makes us "good" people. Can you be good without believing in something? Again, I wish I'd been on top of the whole text before talking with others about it. I'll do better next time.
This was the first book I read on my new Kindle (the old one having given up the ghost and unable to function unless plugged into an outlet, defeating its purpose), which I adore. It's even lighter weight, and I love being able to email documents to it. I preached from it during the RevGalBlogPals' Big Event, which amazed and pleased me.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breakfast with Buddha.