Clint's Reviews > Catch Me If You Can: The True Story of a Real Fake

Catch Me If You Can by Frank W. Abagnale

Mar 06, 2011

liked it
Read in March, 2011

I've been reading this on my droid over the past several days - I'd enjoyed the movie and figured I would enjoy the book as well. It's not too far from what you'd expect, move of the major events in the movie match up with events in the book, while there is a bit more detail, and some other portions of Abagnale's criminal ventures that don't appear in the book. Frank Abagnale is clearly a very intelligent man, and seems to posses an otherworldly knack for picking up and retaining knowledge that allowed him to successfully pose as a lawyer, doctor, pilot, etc. The trouble I had with the book, that I didn't find with the movie, is that it's difficult to be sympathetic to Frank's character. While he mentions feeling bad for defrauding individuals once in awhile throughout the book, he never seems to be struck by the personal nature of a lot of that fraud. He befriended many people, romanced many women, and took advantage of them. His nature seemingly made him able to both be extremely charismatic, and work his way into peoples lives, but detach himself from the feeling guilty about the inevitable result of those relationships. His final thoughts about his "need for adventure and excitement", makes the conclusion that he is simply narcissistic seem the only reasonable response.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catch Me If You Can.