Barbara's Reviews > Magic in the Outfield

Magic in the Outfield by Loren Long

May 04, 11

bookshelves: baseball
Recommended to Barbara by: Teresa!!
Read from May 03 to 04, 2011

This book is unlike anything I would usually read, but it was well recommended to me by a respected GR Friend. I wish this, which is part of the Sluggers series, had been written when my two sons were involved in Little League. Perhaps my 5 year old grandson will have an interest in baseball and I can provide him with the set.

This was a quick little read for me, providing a pleasant interlude in a busy day. It was the first of the books, originally entitled Barnstormers: Game 1 . Set in 1899, the early years of baseball, when teams would travel around the country to small towns and cities, earning their pay through the ticket proceeds, a clear picture of the time was viewed. The story involves a family of barnstormers, description of games played and a neat little mystery. I discovered belatedly that I would have to continue on with other installments to find the solution.

Although Loren Long is named as the author, he is also a talented bestselling illustrator. His many drawings are cleverly executed and add to the pleasure of this tale. The series was co-written by Phil Bildner, who added information and interest with his snippets of descriptions of baseball terminology.

I am an avid baseball fan, so this was a sweet little picture for me into an earlier era when the game was still developing.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic in the Outfield.

Teresa Barbara, an fyi, if you go looking for it at your library, the series is now called "Sluggers,' so you may find it under that name instead of "Barnstormers."

message 2: by Barbara (last edited Mar 06, 2011 01:38PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Barbara Thanks, Teresa!

message 3: by Teresa (last edited Mar 06, 2011 01:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Teresa Barbara wrote: "Thanks, Teresa!

I just looked it up in my library's catalog. It is listed both ways. Is it a series? There seem to be several books listed."

Yes, it is. And I'm looking forward to getting the next one from my library, so I can continue on with it. I believe there will be a total of 6 books in the series, the last coming out in May.

What looks like several, may actually be 'duplicates.' When the paperbacks of the first 3 came out, that seems to be when the name change occurred. http://www.lorenlong.com/barnstormers...

Barbara I don't usually read YA books, but I sincerely trust your judgement. I'll get to them one of these busy days!
Thanks for the link.

Teresa Barbara wrote: "I don't usually read YA books, but I sincerely trust your judgement. I'll get to them one of these busy days!
Thanks for the link."

They're nothing earth-shattering but I really enjoyed the old-fashioned baseball connection.

Barbara And well you (we) should!

Every day in our sports pages there is a countdown until the first Game of the Season. We're looking forward to it. Of course that should mean that spring has arrived- after a miserable winter!

Teresa Nice review, B. FYI: It gets a bit scarier with a violent episode much later on so that may be something to think of when considering a particular child's age and temperament.

Barbara Thanks, Teresa. I have episode #2 here and will read it soon. The others of the series were out, so I'll get to them. I'll watch for the violence that you mentioned.