Craig a.k.a Meatstack's Reviews > Men Without Women

Men Without Women by Ernest Hemingway

Mar 19, 11

bookshelves: 2011, own
Read from March 12 to 19, 2011

After about 100 pages in, I began to refer to this book as textual Lunesta. I would read two or three paragraphs, and then an absinthe colored moth would fly in and land on my shoulder. Several hours later I would awake, covered in my own drool, and my book light out of batteries.

So I wonder why this book bored me as it did. It's a collection of short stories, so I should feel some sort of payoff after each one. But that just wasn't the case. Sure, some did..but only about half.

Hemingway's writing style pushes what isn't said or written more so than what is. Like the pitcher-shaped hole in the wall, You don't have to witness the event to know Kool-aid man went through there. At times his style brings this out with razor-sharp clarity. Other times it's lost upon the reader.

Add the fact that some of these stories are nothing more than set-pieces, and I would seem to lose all interest.

If you are interested in reading some from this iconic author, this might not be a bad place to start, but having this be the only Hemingway I've ever read, I just cannot say if it gets better or worse from here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Men Without Women.

03/12/2011 page 1