Eric_W's Reviews > The Good Guy

The Good Guy by Dean Koontz

Mar 06, 11

bookshelves: mysteries-and-thrillers
Read in March, 2011

Timothy Carrier is minding his own business in a bar, when he is approached by another man and offered a packet containing $10,000 to kill someone. Soon thereafter, another man, the real killer enters and mistakes Tim for the client. Tim tries to buy off the killer with half of the money only to discover the hitman is a cop. He contacts the victim, an unusual lady, and the cat-and-mouse games begin.

Nothing supernatural in this book which is great because when I read anything with supernatural stuff, my crap detector goes into overload. Lots of foreshadowing and one suspects that Tim has other skills besides masonry and that Linda, the woman he is helping, may have additional secrets. Koontz builds suspense very nicely as the killer seems to anticipate their every move leading one to suspect that he is only part of a very large team with many connections.

Some nice humor. There scene where Linda is trying to escape from a restaurant by going through the kitchen and out the back door and is confronted by an assistant manager is worth the price of the book alone. Of course, there is that element of macho fantasy: the ostensible ordinary guy who comes to the defense and rescue of the damsel.

What really sets this book apart from so many ordinary thrillers is the dialogue. The banter between Tim and Linda as they become closer is marvelous, and the scene where Krait, the killer with extraordinary connections, assumes a personality to allay the suspicions of a nosy mother of a couple whose house he is temporarily using as a refuge is terrifically believable even while being most improbable. Krait is the ultimate evil guy, so out of control that even his handlers begin to question his sanity. Enough said.

Set aside an evening. I especially recommend the audio version with Richard Ferrone. Excellent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Guy.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

notgettingenough Oh, okay....I haven't read anything by Koontz, but you've gone and made me put it on my to read list.

Jeff Barber Great review