Kelsey Ketch's Reviews > Graceling

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Jul 22, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, adventure, fantasy
Read from April 27 to May 24, 2011

The Plotline – I felt that the plotline moved very slowly, especially in second part of the novel. The first chapter really grabs you and pulls you into this amazing world. However, as time moved on it really began to slow down to almost a day to day account. I kept flipping ahead to find when the next action scene would be only to find it twenty-five or fifty pages away, which made it difficult to read. It wasn’t until the third part where it finally sped up again, but after the climax it felt forever to wrap up the conclusion.

The Details – There seemed to be a lot of detail. Not just the scenes and certain events, but also detail of the main character’s thoughts and feelings. I can understand to a certain extent considering her grace, but much of it was a little overwhelming, especially when it came to Kasta’s aggression and frustration.

The Characters – Really, the only real thing I loved about the story was the characters, especially Kasta and Po. They were what kept me reading. Their humor, their passion, their friendship. I had to find out what happened to them in the end. Kasta is the kind of heroine I love to read about. She’s strong, quick thinking, and talented with a blade. But, Po was my absolute favorite character. I loved the grace he was gifted with and his calm nature, which helped me cope with the novel’s ending a little better. He, in many ways, completed Kasta and her skills. I wished, at times, that I could see things from his point of view.

However, I was very disappointed by the villain. Well, to be honest, he was a wonderful villain. I love the challenge he presented to the heroes. What I was disappointed in was how small a role he played. He only appeared once in the second part of the novel and once in the third. And that was it. I also didn’t understand his motivation. Granted, neither did the other characters, but I would have liked to have known something about his real background.

For more book reviews, you can also visit my website over at Ketch’s Book Nook. Thank you.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graceling.

04/28/2011 page 34