Claudia's Reviews > The Day Before

The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder

Dec 09, 2015

bookshelves: young-adult, arc-galley, realistic-fiction, romance, read-in-2011, poetry, stand-alone
Read from June 15 to 16, 2011 — I own a copy

I've wanted to get my hands on Lisa Schroeder's I Heart You, You Haunt Me for ages but never got the chance to do it, so I was glad to have the opportunity to read her upcoming book, The Day Before.

I'd heard about Schroeder's use of verses in preference to prose in her novels, and I must admit that I believed it to be distracting to say the least. Much to my surprise, it had the opposite effect: the particular writing made the story and the protagonists' feelings much more powerful and dramatic and it's probably the part I loved the most.

The story itself was nothing particularly complex or original, but maybe the simplicity of it was what made Amber's sorrow feel so real and present, and what made me not notice that Amber and Cade fall in love the day they meet, something I hate in contemporary and realistic fiction.

Overall, it was a strong, different read, and it made me want to read Lisa Schroeder's other novels even more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Day Before.

06/15/2011 page 55
17.0% "Very different, but enjoyable all the same."