Deb's Reviews > Foiled

Foiled by Jane Yolen

Mar 06, 11

Read in March, 2011

Jane Yolen has written about a bazillion books, everything from picture books to amazing novels (like Briar Rose and The Devil’s Arithmetic). In Foiled, we meet Aliera, a champion fencer who is also a bit of a loner. Her life has been school and fencing. Then, when she is in tenth grade, she meets Avery Castle, the most beautiful boy, but a boy who is not as he seems. They become biology lab partners (hello Twilight). And when he asks her on a date, well, it doesn’t go as planned, and as this is a work of urban fantasy, things get strange.
I like that Aliera is a strong girl, sure of herself even if she doesn’t fit in, but she suffers from a bit of Bella syndrome (he likes me? why?), but unlike Bella, Aliera knows how to take care of herself when things go south.
I’m not sure if the flaws in this story are built into the format – graphic novels leave very little room for character development, and I always feel something is lacking, even from the best graphic novels. Or this is just a middling fantasy story. I know Yolen has amazing stories in her (like the two mentioned above), so I think my dissatisfaction is probably a combination of having higher expectations for both the author and genre, and the author didn’t quite meet my standards. Still, it’s a good story for teen and tween girls who need to see all the strong, complicated girls in lit possible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Foiled.