Nancy Oakes's Reviews > A Shilling for Candles

A Shilling for Candles by Josephine Tey

Feb 12, 2008

bookshelves: crime-fiction-uk, classic-mystery-fiction, crime-fiction
Read in December, 2015

really, it's around a 3.6 rounded up.

This is my second time with this book, and I got much more out of it this time around than the last, which is generally the case with me; I think the huge difference was that this time I also had more insight into the author herself. I have to be honest -- so far my favorite of the rereads has been her The Franchise Affair -- in my very humble opinion, it's among the best of her mysteries and A Shilling for Candles doesn't rate as highly as that one. That doesn't mean it's not good, just less enjoyable for me personally.

Having just recently finished Jennifer Morag Henderson's excellent biography of the author, Josephine Tey: A Life (which I'll be talking about here very shortly), I find myself completely in agreement with her -- the more a Tey reader understands about her life, the easier it is to appreciate and to understand her work. I wish the biography had come out sooner; now I feel like I ought to go back and reread more of Tey's crime novels for better perspective.

The supposed suicide of actress Christine Clay turns out to be a murder in this novel, and a ready-made suspect is on hand, supposedly making things easy for Inspector Grant. However, the suspect flees, and while the suspect is being hunted, Grant finds himself having to examine different lines of inquiry that move him into the shallow world of celebrity, the dead woman's personal history, religious strangeness, and they even take him into the realm of out-there astrology before the truth is at last revealed. And I have to say, I seriously didn't see that ending coming -- a complete surprise.

Getting back to why knowing something of Tey's life helps to put things into better perspective as a reader, I could easily see how much of Tey's experiences had an impact on her character creations. As just one example (without giving anything away), Tey had made lifelong friends among a group of women in the theater world, women she'd come to know in her work as playwright Gordon Daviot. One of these women was Marda Vanne, whose fictional counterpart Marta Hallard turns up in more than one Tey novel as an actress friend of Grant's. As another example, when Christine Clay's will is read, it turns out that she's left money to the National Trust, "for the preservation of the beauty of England." Tey did the same in her will. Plus, there's the central focus on the pitfalls of fame and fortune in this novel that may play off of Tey's own reluctance to be in the public limelight.

Recommended to people who enjoy vintage crime, but do be aware that many of Tey's ideas in this novel do not conform to modern PC sensitivities. Frankly, I don't really give a fig about whether or not a book written in the 1930s conforms to today's standards of "correctness", but I have read reader responses that include complaints about this issue, so you've been warned. Overall -- a good read, not great, but it was fun getting to the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Shilling for Candles.

07/10/2016 marked as: read