Nancy Oakes's Reviews > Bertie And The Tinman

Jan 15, 09

liked it
bookshelves: crime-fiction-uk, mystery-series-first-novel, crime-fiction
Read in March, 2007

I kind of like the main character, Albert Edward, Prince of Wales (who would go on to become Edward VII), fondly known to his friends & family as Bertie. He has a very tongue-in-cheek way of sharing a story, and I give some kudos to Mr. Lovesey for using him as a fictional character.

The story is based on the real-life death of one Frederick Archer, probably the most famous & most successful jockey during the time of Queen Victoria up until his death at age 29. In real life, of course, the Prince of Wales wouldn't have been a detective sniffing at the truth of the matter, but in this book, it is Bertie himself who refuses to believe that Archer shot himself after a bout of typhoid (which the fictional coroner said made him of unsound mind) and gets involved in trying to figure out what happened.

If you read this book, you'll join Bertie from the music halls of London to the race track to his home in Sandringham with his wife and children. It's a fun way to spend a few hours and by golly, I have all of the other Bertie books & plan to go through them all. I think British mystery fans would like it, as would fans of mysteries set in the Victorian period. Fun stuff! Go read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bertie And The Tinman.