Laura's Reviews > Will Grayson, Will Grayson

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by David Levithan

Mar 05, 11

Was there anything this good written for teenagers when I was a teenager? I really don't think there was. I definitely don't think there was anything this good for GLBT teens when I was a teenager. I remember being totally enthralled with Francesca Lia Block's Weetzie Bat books, but other than that I read these Lurlene McDaniel books for kids with cancer (don't ask) and Christopher Pike. I enjoy a good Christopher Pike, but this is literature, and I don't remember anything like it from my teenhood (maybe I'm wrong? Just a dolt?).
Anyway, if you can't tell already, I kind of liked it. John Green's Will Grayson in particular was a character that accurately embodied many of the struggles of adolescence for me. One of the things that I enjoy about YA is that it reminds of how immediate it was to be a teenager, how every event, every thought was heightened (this is represented very well by the second- David Levithan's Will). In particular, the friendship between Will #1 and Tiny Cooper is such a real friendship: each party living in a self-centered world and forgetting that the relationship between them has a life of its own, which also requires attention and care and might be spinning out of contral. So, lovely. And Tiny Cooper and his musical? Brilliant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Will Grayson, Will Grayson.