Sarah's Reviews > The Rapture: In the Twinkling of an Eye

The Rapture by Tim LaHaye

Mar 05, 11

bookshelves: christianity, sci-fi, novel
Read in June, 2006

The third installment in the Before They Were Left Behind series is half Glorious Appearing and half Left Behind.

The actual rapture doesn't occur until halfway into the book, the time up to then is spent setting up the situations in which people find themselves when the Rapture occurs, by and large information we didn't get (at least as explicitly) in Left Behind. Once the Rapture occurs the action splits between those who are raptured and their experiences in Heaven (the same kind of story as those present at Christ's second coming in Glorious Appearing) and the reactions of those left behind, although mostly differnt perspectives than those given in Left Behind.

While I still enjoyed Glorious Appearing. because it was the last book in the series, there wasn't that driving force to finish the book immediately so I could be ready for the next one. There was no next one. Jesus had come back to Earth. After his 1,000 year reign on Earth, there's nothing but eternity. So I had similar problems with reading the story of the raptured saints. While it was cool to read about Heaven and meeting all the other saints, it wasn't as gripping as the fight for survival facing those left behind.

On the other hand, I absolutely loved getting to see more about what happened to people who played smaller or later roles in the Left Behind series when the Rapture occured, as well as the fates of random people, reminding us that this event effects the whole world.

I realized that I totally forgot to mention Carpathia in The Regime, but I will say that it's very illuminating (and creepy) to see his initial reaction to the Rapture. Really, though, of the three prequels, he plays the smallest role by far in this one. If the The Rising was about Nicolae and the The Regime was about The Steele's and Buck , then The Rapture is essentially about humanity.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rapture.