Amy A's Reviews > Red-Headed Stepchild

F 50x66
Nov 08, 11

bookshelves: sabina-kane
Read from November 02 to 07, 2011

I bought this book a few months ago when it was on sale for the Kindle. I can't believe I waited so long to start this series. Although I think it's a good things since book 4 comes out shortly.

I really liked the world that Ms. Wells created. The mythology behind the different supernatural species was interesting. I liked that they all have their own groups and don't really like to intermingle yet some have alliances with others. I liked that vampires are decended from Lilith and Cain. This isn't a new concept in UF, but Wells does a good job with forming the idea into her own.

Sabina is the type of female heroine I like to read about. She's strong and independent, she does really well on her own, but obviously she has vulnerability too, but she doesn't let it interfere with her work. We are first introduced to Sabina after she's been an assassine for the Dominae (vampires) for many many years. She's asked to do something that she doesn't want to do but ultimately will do it because the vampires are all she's ever known and she believes in honoring those that have raised her. Sabina is no normal vampire, she's half vampire and half mage. Her vampire relatives have no problem reminding her that she's not completely like them and that they don't particularly care for her mage half. It makes for an interesting dynamic because at the start of the book Sabina is beginning to realize that maybe the family she's always known hasn't ha her best interest at heart.

I like that we start this book on a sort of crossroads with Sabina. I mean her life is about to chang drastically and it's interesting to see it come about especially since we don't see her when she was truly devoted to the Dominae.

Adam was a great "hero" in the book. The chemistry between him and Sabina was great. I like when a relationship takes time to develop (if one even develops remains to be seen). I think I appreciate it more when and if it does happen.

Giguhl was a wonderful little sidekick for Sabina. He was a great comic character.

Overall, this first book really introdues us to the world the Wells has created. I'm really looking forward to continuing to read this series. Until Then!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red-Headed Stepchild.

11/02/2011
5.0% "Starts off right away with a bang. Can't wait to keep reading"
11/07/2011
74.0% "Really loving this book s far. I anticipate that I'll buy the next books in the series as soon as I'm done with this one!"
show 1 hidden update…