Nancy Oakes's Reviews > Acolytes of Cthulhu

Acolytes of Cthulhu by Robert M. Price

Feb 12, 2008

bookshelves: horror
Read in August, 2006

From what I gather as I read this book, the authors who have contributed to this volume are all "acolytes of Cthulhu," meaning (as Price notes in his introduction) that they all have in their own way paid tribute to Lovecraft through their writings, either in style or in content. And what a fine collection this is; probably one of the better horror samplers I've ever read. Of course, this is an anthology, but imho, there's only one story in here I'd single out as a "how the hell did this get in here" type thing. Other than that one (which shall remain nameless, although I'll bet if you're along for thrill of getting the willys, you'll know which one it is), the collection here is a mish-mosh of horror that you should definitely read alone and with the lights down low. For the first time, I can't pick a favorite, although "The Earth Brain" and "The Will of Claude Ashur" were 2 that really spooked me.

If you are an HPL fan, not necessarily a Mythos fan since most of these stories do not directly address the Mythos, then you will enjoy this book. I wish people wrote like this nowadays -- the stories are gut-level creepy and don't have to depend on gore or slasher-type scenarios to be scary.

I am very proud to have this book as a part of my HPL/Fedogan and Bremer collection. Highly recommended, even if you just want to read the stories for their horror benefit! If you're reading it and come across stories related to the Mythos and you aren't familiar with the names, drop everything and go to the source himself: Howard Phillips Lovecraft.

contents list:
Meyrinck, Gustav -- The Purple Death
Searight Richard and Franklin Searight -- The Mists of Death
Gaiman, Neil -- Shuggoth's Old Peculiar
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Acolytes of Cthulhu.

message 1: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie Sloan Hi!
Just got this from the library.I have so many Cthulhu books that I don't know which to choose!lol.
-Jeannie