Nancy Oakes's Reviews > Agents of Light and Darkness

Agents of Light and Darkness by Simon R. Green

Jan 13, 09

bookshelves: fantasy

As I think I've mentioned somewhere before, I am the biggest sucker for pulp fiction. Simon R. Green's Nightside series take pulp fiction an extra step & meld it to the supernatural and the weird sci-fi realm. You may be a little lost if Agents of Light and Darkness is where you start in the series; I would definitely start with the first one "Something From the Nightside" and go through the books in order.

In this episode, our hero, John Taylor, is back in the Nightside again, and finds himself seated face to face with an emissary from the Vatican. It seems that the Unholy Grail is missing and is believed to be somewhere in the Nightside. Taylor's gift is to be able to find anything, so his skills are wanted to find the Unholy Grail. As opposed to the Holy Grail, the Unholy Grail is the cup from which Judas drank before betraying Jesus to the Romans. Its possession gives the owner great temptations & special powers strong enough to control any and everything and it is most wanted not only by the Vatican emissary, so that he can bury it so that it never surfaces again, but by the Heavenly Angels & the Angels from Hell who each have their own agendas for the cup; and this is not to mention the evil ones in the Nightside who will stop at nothing to obtain the cup. So besides finding the cup, Taylor & his best friend Suzie have their work cut out for them just to stay alive.

As usual, this Nightside book is a definite treat. And, for those of you who are Lovecraft aficionados, such as myself, there is a hidden treat in here: on a visit to The Collector, Taylor is going through the Collector's crates & finds one labeled "Antarctic Expedition 1936; Do not open until the Elder Ones Return."(207) This sentence made me chuckle. For those of you who don't have a clue of what I'm talking about, well, never mind.

Sci-fi/fantasy fans, readers of steampunk and even horror readers will enjoy this series.

Recommended; fun, meant to entertain for a few hours.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Agents of Light and Darkness.

message 1: by bookczuk (new)

bookczuk I've only read one in this series, but really liked it. Not as much as I like Butcher, but still, it's good enough. You've spurred me on to read another someday. Evil woman.

Nancy Oakes I'm only up to the letter H in updating my reviews and it's very frustrating.

You'll like the series; I haven't even picked up book one of Butcher yet, but I'll get there. I keep telling myself I won't buy any new books until I make a dent in the old ones, but yeah, right!

message 3: by bookczuk (new)

bookczuk Nancy wrote: "I'm only up to the letter H in updating my reviews and it's very frustrating.

Ah Butcher... he's like Dortmunder meets Philip Marlowe meets VanHelsing meets Peter Wimsey. I adore him. Just gave a local book one in the series, but if I come across another, it's headed your way!

(And yes, I'm updating and adding in my stuff, too. Loving that GoodReads lets me catalog the books I read that aren't BC books. Just what I need. Another site to get lost in!

Nancy Oakes Bookczuk wrote: "Nancy wrote: "I'm only up to the letter H in updating my reviews and it's very frustrating.

Oh my! I have the whole series...I keep buying them but just haven't gotten to them yet. So don't worry about finding one for me. But thank you, you lovely person!

message 5: by bookczuk (new)

bookczuk I have read 1-3, have 4 and 8. I am dependent of the kindness of others donating to my favorite bookstore, Le Goodwill. I get everything eventually.