Arlene's Reviews > Psych Major Syndrome

Jul 02, 11

bookshelves: read-2011, ya-contemporary, reviews-with-music, young-adult
Recommended to Arlene by: Nic, Nomes, Crystal
Read from June 28 to July 01, 2011

Rating Clarification: 4.5 Stars (closer to 5)

Cognitive Fictional Character Association: A common affliction wherein an avid reader becomes highly sympathetic of a main character due to the numerous similarities in characteristics, experiences and habits.

Just in case you’re wondering, yes I made that condition up, but it best describes why I enjoyed Psych Major Syndrome by Alicia Thompson so much. This book caused some serious tear-inducing laughter with its hilarious and snarky narrative and awesomesauce characters and their romantic moments. I had this book sitting on my shelf for a couple of months and if it wasn’t for my trusted Street Corner Bookers, I would never have known it needed to be read ASAP (pronounced A.S.A.P not A-SAP... just saying). :D

In Psych Major Syndrome Leigh finds herself struggling to adjust to the demands of college life. She’s attending Stiles, a smaller more independent style college with her high school boyfriend Andrew. Among her list of challenges include a highly competitive fellow Psych major, a boyfriend who she can’t seem to move to the next level with, a mentee with an honest opinion of Leigh and a bag load of issues of her own, and her boyfriend’s shirtless roommate that’s played the starring role in an interesting dream of hers. Well as you can see, her first semester in college proves to be full of demands and possibilities for change, so how does Leigh respond to these confounding variables? You’ll have to read it to find out. :P

Leigh has moved to my list of top favorite female fictional characters. I had so much in common with her that I felt a sense of connection that I often crave when reading books, which made me enjoy it so much more. Here’s just a small list that had me shouting... me too!! me too!!
Scored a J on the Myers Briggs personality test = check
Drove to college in what others would classify as a cringe-worthy vehicle = check
Attended the university with my high school sweetheart boyfriend = check
Suffered from food envy when going out with friends = check
Reluctant to submerge head under suspicious lake/beach/pool water = check
Procrastinated on projects but still delivered quality papers = check
Took Psych 101 my first semester of college = check
Becomes emotional over books and music = double check
Ain’t no Hollaback Girl = triple check

I could go on and on, but those are just a few of the things that had me smiling and laughing out loud as Leigh shared her story. Also, I loved the mini-road trip and the relationship between Nathan and Leigh that developed during that little episode. It was nice to see they both had a vulnerable side they were willing to share with each other. They were definitely a great pair.

So in conclusion, let me leave you with one last psychology term that happens to be fact:

Pleasure Principle: In Freudian psychology, this is the psychoanalytic concept describing people seeking pleasure and avoiding suffering (pain) in order to satisfy their biological and psychological needs. (Example = Psych Major Syndrome)

Song Choice: (Also happens to be in the book) Blink-182 - Dammit
15 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Psych Major Syndrome.

Arlene Just goes to show you how much influence the Street Corner Bookers have over me. :D

message 2: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic wOOT wOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you love it (and Nathan).

Arlene LOL! I'm sure I will. You, Nomes, and Crystal can't be wrong. I'm off to read about drool-worthy Nathan. :P

message 4: by Lora (new)

Lora Love the review, Arlene! I want to read this, but my library doesn't have it. I'll have to wait:(

Arlene Thanks Lora! I have a copy that any of the Street Corner Bookers can borrow. Just post a note at the club or PM me. :)

message 6: by Hannah (last edited Jul 02, 2011 04:11PM) (new)

Hannah How cool that you found a book you could so closely identify with.

Excellent review, Wonder!

Arlene It was great!! I got this with the Zon card you gave me BTW. So thank YOU Lily!! :D

message 8: by Lora (new)

Lora Arlene wrote: "Thanks Lora! I have a copy that any of the Street Corner Bookers can borrow. Just post a note at the club or PM me. :)"

Oh, no thanks, hun:) I'll wait and get my own copy. I'm busy rereading Shiver and Linger in prep for Forever right now, anyway. ;)

Arlene Sounds good Lora. Happy reading!

message 10: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic Awesome review Arlene! You make me want to go read my copy again. It is such a grin worthy read.

Arlene Thankies Nic! I really enjoyed this one. Now I MUST read Burn Bright next. :D

message 12: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic I loved Burn Bright. Happy reading.

message 13: by Lucy (new) - added it

Lucy It makes a big difference when you connect with the characters. Sounds like a fun book!

Arlene Thank you Nic. :)

Most definitely Lucy! I enjoyed this book a lot. :)

Flannery A few times, I been around that track...

I felt the same way--it is just so awesome:)

message 16: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ Everyone seems to just love this book! Me needs to read it! lol
Great review hun!

Arlene @ Flann, I have that song in my head again. :)

@ Tina, you will love it. If you don't have it,let me know. I'll take care of that right away. :D Thankies!

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Awesome review, I loved it!!! Your check list was great and the last part made me chuckle. I have this one waiting to be read and I can't wait! So glad you enjoyed.

Arlene Thanks JjJAnna! I think you'll really like this one. It was awesome. :)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko It sounds like my kind of book.

Crystal How did I miss your review??!! I am so glad that you liked it! Amazing review!!

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko @Crystal I completely missed it as well. I thought I might actually read this one before her. Too late.

Arlene @ Crystal. Thank you! I really liked this one. Thanks for suggesting I read it right away. :)

Uh huh, this my sh..., All the girls stomp your feet like this...

Flann made me do it... :P

Crystal This sh...is bananas...B..a..n..a..n..a..s

hehe

Arlene LOL! This song is staying right where it is... IN.MY.HEAD! XD

Nomes i LOVE this review

and chuckled out loud at the A-SAP, haha.

i related so well to this book as well ~ it's on my all time faves shelf (and i am so pumped that all the bookers are loving it, as i was worried it would be more of a "me book" and maybe not universally awesome to the rest of the world ~ if you get what i mean :)

also, your reviews lately are on fire~ how do you write prolifically and such good quality (i am in such a slump with my reviewing ... )

xx

Arlene Thank you Nomes!! Yes, the A-SAP was something in the book that when she pointed it out I completely agreed with her. LOL I'm so glad I saw you, Nic and Crystal squeeing about this book. It's been sitting on my shelf for a few months. Awwww, thank you for the compliment about my reviews. I think it's mainly those books that move me or really make me laugh that I want to do them justice through my reviews and I try to make them a little different. Otherwise, I feel my reviews are starting ot sound the same. :) I really enjoy your reviews, so I hope you continue to post them. :) ((hugs)) a...

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko I am not being a suck up or anything but I too agree your reviews have been great! I may not have read a lot of books YET but I read tons of reviews and yours stand out. :=)

Arlene Awwww, thank you JjJAnna. That's very sweet of you to say. :) Okay, now I have to pay more attention to when I write them. :)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko lol... I am always in fear and almost didn't post my review for The DUFF because of it. I have the worst grammar however I really enjoy voicing my opinion.

Nomes Thanks Arlene

I know what you mean about starting to sound the same in reviews. I haven't written a review for a while but I still find myself half composing what I would say about the book in my head. I think I am just a bit burnt out but definitely planning to get back into it.

It's busier here when my kids are home on school hols ~ I don't seem to go on the computer much ...

xx

Prisca So glad I read your review! Loved the book. So cute. I'm a sucker for road trip scenes :)