Kim's Reviews > Lost: Lost and Found Pet Posters from Around the World

Lost by Ian Phillips

Jan 10, 11

bookshelves: gr-friend-recommendations, mmxi, for-realz
Read in January, 2011

Way back when… when I was just a little tyke with a Dorothy Hamill haircut and dreams of being a Hula Hoop queen (that’s another story)---Way back then, my dad used to take in all sorts of strays. My first dog, Mimmy (rhymes with Kimmy) was a mini French poodle. I loved that dog. She was yippie and liked to run in circles around my legs and didn’t argue (much) when I dressed her in my doll clothes, most of all SHE WAS ALL MINE. I don’t have any photos of her now… which really bums me out. I just have my flailing memory… lots of good that does. Then, my sister came along and we had to give Mimmy away. I’m sure there are unresolved feelings lying low in my subconscious regarding this. It’s probably why I used to hang her over the banister by her neck… probably.
Then we had Dusty, he was a big dog… a yellow lab that we dressed up with a red bandana (we broke new ground with that look…) I’m not sure how long we had Dusty… I remember coming home one day and he was getting into a truck with two strangers and when I asked my dad, he said---after a stammering fit--- that his real 'owners' came for him. (Really, Dad? After a year? Really??)
Then there was Batty---Sebastian---- but we called her Batty. She was a beautiful black/white cat. She was a keeper. Loyal and all knowing… When my mom died, she slept on top of my pillow every night and would lick away my tears. When we moved to NYC, we had to leave her with friends and she became so upset that they brought her to a vet who put her on valium until we could claim her. In NYC, she adapted to being an inside cat--something that I thought was beyond her ability because she was such a hunter (ask the hundreds of bluebirds that dive bombed her every time she left our porch.) Then, when we moved to the Catskills and she was allowed back out… she was unstoppable. She used to go down to Main Street and hang out at the cafes and look all pretty so that patrons would feed her bits of their turkey sandwiches. She became a part of the community… people knew me as ‘Batty’s owner’

Then, she just disappeared. My cat of 15 years! I had a one month old baby and a husband who was hanging out in the basement with ‘the band’ all the time. It’s safe to say that I sort of fell apart. We made so many posters… we had college kids walking the neighborhood calling out ‘Batty’, we had people taking the stage at Open Mike nights asking for any information on Batty to please come forward. It was a town wide plea.

“Lost” is a collection of Lost and found pet posters from around the world. It’s beautiful. Take these posters off the telephone poles and mailboxes and trees and place them on a page and they become art.

Lately I’ve been trying to look at --- I guess ‘life'--- at a different angle. No, not in an Anthony Robbins kind of angle… just a slight twitch… make it a little more interesting… To take these posters and give them a story. Some are heart breaking… like the ones designed by children… ‘Please, I would like him home for Xmas’ or ‘Lost Cat - His name is Piggy. He is orange and white and has 2 bumps on his ear’ or the ones that make you wonder ‘ LOST BLACK LAB -- NO COLLAR -- NO LEGS -- NEEDS MEDICINE!’ or ‘LOST CAT -- an old and toothless, orange Persian with a dandruff problem and a flat face who is an important family member. Please help us find Norman’

Or… this one:

There was one that was more of a plea for a contact with an old boyfriend:
‘ David, I lost contact. Please call Deanna. If anyone knows David, pls tell him to call. I just want to know how is Bizet doing. Also, I need to give you Bizet’s medical history. Thank you.’

One that made me want to check up on the poor woman:

‘$1,000 Reward. No Questions Asked To the Person who has Teddy ( 6yr old male bichon frise). I know he is irresistibly adorable, but he is more than that to me--he is like a son. My life had been absolute torment since he disappeared. Every time I walk through my front door into an empty house my heart breaks a little more and tears stream down my face. He has been my best friend for nearly 7 years. Please bring him home.”

I guess the point is that this glimpse into people and their missing pets makes me a little more humble. Batty eventually came home. It had been a few weeks and she was missing a patch of hair the size of a baseball, but was still the same loving cat that would kiss away my tears. She didn’t venture off the porch the rest of that summer. She passed away a few years ago. It was like losing a limb.
RIP, Batty.

18 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost.

Valerie I got it a long time ago at a chain bookstore. It's a really sweet/sad/funny book.

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim There were a few from Cambridge, Elizabeth... there was one where the dog was chasing burglars and never came back!

Here, have a tissue...

message 3: by David (new)

David Look! There's a Val sighting in comment no. 1... from 2008!

This makes me sad. The review and the book, not the Val sighting.

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim You probably don't want to look at the book then, David.
There's a lost rat and some birds too!

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I don't mean to be cynical, you think any of the signs in the book are made up? As a handwriting analyst*, I've my suspicions. (The two you posted could have been written by the same person).

love your eview, btw Kim.

*strictly amateur, of course

message 6: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim It might be... I don't know... the introduction said he put up ads in magazines all over the world... It's funny... very few from Africa or Asia or S. America. Mostly Canada and the US. There are a lot of photos of pets but a lot of drawings too...

Such a cynic, Chairy!!

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I know I am...

p.s. I met the Benster! and Vicki!

they are so great.

message 8: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Jealous!!!!

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica yup ;-)

we have to arrange a NE meet!

message 10: by David (last edited Jan 11, 2011 06:42AM) (new)

David Who wouldn't pay big money to see Treat post:

I met the Benster! and Vicki!

what a couple of twats
...ils sucent les testicules de chèvres

I know I would.

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica David,
mind your manners p-l-e-a-s-e.

message 12: by Eddie (last edited Jan 11, 2011 11:20AM) (new)

Eddie Six years ago we found a husky trotting up our street. The next day I put "Found Dog" signs up around the neighborhood, asking to call my work # with any info. Two days later the husky escaped from our house, by which time we were totally attached to her, so I then put "Lost Dog" signs up around the neighborhood, asking to call our home # with any info. A few days later, after we had found the husky, we got a message on our answering machine from a woman excited to tell us that she knew who found our dog: she told us to call Eddie at my work #.

Anyway, lost pet posters break my heart.

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica funny story!

did you keep the husky?

message 14: by Eddie (new)

Eddie She's the white dog in my avatar.

message 15: by Eddie (new)

Eddie I mean, yes we did. That's a recent pic.

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica oh, beautiful dog!

message 17: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Eddie, that's a great story!!

message 18: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole You forgot to mention in this review how when I finally came along, and how much you LOVE me, and that Batty was actually my first stray to bring home, even though as soon as I walked in the house with her.. she became Mom's cat.. (I think this is vital information that you left out) And for everyone else, I am not the sister she hung over the banister.. I'm the one she actually liked when we were kids! haha

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle I clearly remember Kim hanging Jan over the banister and regularly beating on her.

message 20: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole Yup and then Jan took over that role and beat me! lol I am very lucky I didn't get hung over the banister, but then again, I was the baby and "Untouchable" (when anyone was home, unsupervised I was screwed)!! I got stung by a bee and Jan got blamed for it!! Haha!!

message 21: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim I'm uh... nicer now.

And she really did deserve it. She mastered the role of annoying little sister.