Sara's Reviews > Cryer's Cross

Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann

Mar 05, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read in March, 2011

This is the first book of Lisa McMann’s I've read and it reminded me of the Goosebumps books by R.L. Stine that were so popular when I was growing up. It had the same eerie feeling to it.

Cryer’s Cross is an exceptionally small town, where two high school students go missing. This story is based around Kendall and how she reacts to the events.

As a heroine, Kendall was likable, even with her OCD. She’s a strong character, one of the boys. She works on a farm, plays soccer and dances. And when one of her friends goes missing, I really feel for her. She's grief-stricken for a while, and when she recovers does her best to solve the mystery.

Jacien is a potential love interest for her in the book. But for me, the romance fell a little flat. It didn’t feel like sparks so much as 1) a shared interest in soccer, 2) some intrigue because he was the new guy and 3) in such a small town there really wasn’t anyone else for her to like.

My biggest complaint with the book is why the students go missing. I just found it really odd. Not to give anything away, but really? I love fiction, but maybe I'm just too logical for the out-there explanation. And the few lines about her OCD saving Kendall. Seriously? I thought it was the author writing right to her daughter, trying to make her think that her OCD is really a gift.

And I didn’t get the whole dancing thing with Kendall. Did that really go with the rest of the story?

I liked the book when I read it, but the more I thought about it, it just wasn’t for me.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cryer's Cross.